Sunday, October 4, 2015

October 4th, 2015

Bula Vinaka!!!! This week was very good. We finally got our truck back which is very exciting. I am the designated driver too which can be fun and scary. In Fiji they drive on the left side of the road and so it can be hard to get used to. There have been a few times on turns where I turned into the right lane and almost caused an accident but it's not that bad. Since we got our truck back, we are able to go to some of the other parts of our area now. Our area is huge and there are just a lot of driving on dirt roads to get to little villages. 

Tuesday, we drove the truck up to Nalidi and Soa. It is way awesome to be able to go and see new people. Our area is huge though. It takes forever to get to these villages that are spread out everywhere.

On Wednesday, we drove all the way up to Burewai and Saioko. These villages are very bush and they are in the middle of nowhere. We talked to a bunch of people up there and taught some lessons. My Fijian is getting a little better I think but I usually just let my trainer do most of the talking during lessons. After that in order to save k's (kilometers) we stayed the night in the Saioko chapel. It's a half hour hike up from the road through the jungle. We took a sele (machete) up with us because supposedly sometimes dog's or wild pigs attack us. We slept at the chapel and their was a rat in the room we stayed at. I used my sulu as a blanket because I got a little chilly.

On Thursday, we went to a little village on the beach called Natalera. It was way beautiful there. Apparently everyone there doesn't like us though for some reason. I'm pretty sure it was something that happened in the past but we went out and tried our best anyways. We taught a family there that are the only members. They just have a little unit. The rest of the day was just did OYM (open your mouth) and talked to nearly everyone in the village. It was exhausting. By the end of the day, we were so worn out that we went and bought 5 liters of Blitz ice cream. We each started off eating so much, then we couldn't finish and got sick. After that we both felt sick for the next few days.

On Friday, we drove up to Nalidi to meet with some people but everyone was drinking kava in the school. Then some guy kept trying get us into his house to drink some kava so Elder Otene decided that we better leave. We then went to Nasautoka to try to get some lessons in but no one was there. We only taught one lesson that day which was a big bummer. 

Saturday was a good day. We went back to Nalidi and we taught a lesson to some recent convert and their kids. It was way awesome and they are really cool people. We then left and taught and old investigator but she is way Catholic so I guess we will see what happens. We then went to Nayavo where we taught a few lessons. We taught Turaga and his family and gave them a baptismal invite and they accepted. I am so excited for them and for the work. We then got some awesome food from the Tiko Edinas. They are some members that are really nice. That night we wanted to save some more k's so we were going to sleep in the Nasautoka chapel, but all of the young men were sleeping in there, so we just had to sleep in our truck. It was terrible. 

Finally on Sunday, we woke up and went to church. The church there has about 15 members and that is combined from the people in Nayavo and Nasautoka. Elder Otene and I got to bless the sacrament and it was hard in Fijian but way awesome. I then shared my testimony in bad Fijian but hopefully it wasn't too bad. We then went to Nasautoka and did some more work. We had dinner with the stake president. Fish is going to take some getting used to. I constantly am puling  bones from my mouth but I hope I will get used to it. Finally, we stayed the night at the Korovo Elders flat which is tiny. There were 4 of us squished in their little box of a flat. There shower is just a bucket behind their flat and so I took a shower out there. It had a nice view.

That is all for this week. The work is going good and I am excited for the future. Everyone here can't really pronounce my last name so they just call me ELDA (CHO~NAY) It makes more sense in Fijian. The language is coming and I hope it will get better faster. Our flat does have running water and power which is good. There are only my companion and I in our area, in our district there is 6. Two of the Elders in our district are out on an island too so we don't really get to see them as often. I think there are about 140 total  missionaries here in Fiji. We email from a little internet Cafe that is about a 45 minute drive from our flat. There are good days and there are bad days but time is flying. Everyone says that their mission went by way too fast and I am already starting to see that. It felt like yesterday that I showed up at the MTC. Well, moce  from Fiji.

No comments:

Post a Comment